1. I will spill coffee on myself no matter what. Even if I’m careful at some point during the drop off routing I will spill some coffee on myself and my eldest, Put Pie, will laugh and say, “Why you always spill coffee on yourself?”
2. I need to keep wet wipes in my car at all times. The wet wipes help clean up the coffee spills on my clothes as well as the kids’ sticky hands and fingers after eating breakfast on their way to school.
3. Don’t sweat the small stuff. If my kid wants to wear mismatched socks to school, I let her. If she wants to wear the same shirt she wore the day before, as long as it’s clean enough, I let her. In the long run that stuff is trivial and I don’t have the time or energy to waste on it in the mornings. Plus, I really don’t care about el qué diran and apparently neither do my daughters, so good for them.
4. Know how to adjust the harness on car seats. One morning, I’ll put my kids in their Britax car seats and buckle up their 5-point harness with no problem. The next morning they have somehow managed to get bigger, knowing how to adjust the belts on the fly keeps them comfortable and saves me time.
5. Savor the goodbye. Rush all of it if you have to, but when the time comes to say goodbye to your child, look them in the eye and tell them you love them so they know you mean it.